Dear all,

Having worked at the World Bank for more than 20 years, I feel that one must have some grounding in a language other than English to be successful. This is not to say one must be fluent, but a firm understanding of how languages work and the legal terminology used in various languages is a must. I have studied Spanish extensively, but have some knowledge of Latin, Russian, Italian, French, and Portuguese. Using this knowledge, I have been successful in searching for legislation in such countries as Romania and Serbia, and CIS countries. I admit that my weak points are Asian and Arabic languages, but we do have other staff at the World Bank that we can consult when needed.

I also credit the support garnered through listservs and colleagues who have greater expertise than I could ever have. With more legislation available online, navigating websites in different languages can be quite challenging, even with some knowledge of other languages.

Regards,
Laura Lalime Mowry
World Bank Law Library
Washington, DC