FWIW, 80% of CA appellate cases are unreported....and the app cts sometimes depublish certain cases. Nor may one cite an unpublished case in CA (with exceptions involving RJ or CE).
________________________________
From: International Law Librarians List (Int-Law) [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Dunlap, William Prof. [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Int-Law] Under-reporting of case law

This is sometimes a controversial issue in the United States, especially regarding the propriety of citing unreported decisions.  Some courts have strict rules forbidding citations, even though this seems to many to go against the very notion of precedent in the common law.

This link is to the Lexis-Nexis discussion of locating unreported decisions.

http://law.lexisnexis.com/infopro/zimmermans/disp.aspx?z=2085

Here are citations to a couple of articles Iím familiar with:

Guess My Weight: What Degree of Disparity Is Currently Recognized between Published and Unpublished Opinions, and Does Equal Access to Each Form Justify Equal Authority for All?
59 Drake Law Review 887

The Textualization of Precedent, 82 Notre Dame Law Review 1187

Controlling the Common Law: a Comparative Analysis of No-Citation Rules and Publication Practices in England and the United States, 17 Indiana Intíl & Comp L Rev 307

Bill Dunlap

William V. Dunlap
Professor of Law
Associate Dean for Research