Sanford,
Your colleague may need to do some research on "State Succession" in international law. My understanding is haa always been that a new State does not automatically inherit the treaty obligations of a former State. And see the Vienna Convention On Succession Of States In Respect Of Treaties, discussed at:-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Succession_of_States_in_respect_of_Treaties
I note that the Czech Republic and all the various republics of the former Yugoslavia are parties to the Vienna Convention.
Good Luck,
Cheers,

Ron Huttner LL.B (Hons)
(Retired) Barrister and Solicitor,