Hi John,

I think that the English term “forgery” might be a more appropriate translation in this context rather than fraud (which might be closer to the concept of “escroquerie”).

This is also how it is translated in appropriate sections of the English version of the French Penal Code in LegiFrance: ENACTED PARTS > FELONIES AND MISDEMEANOURS AGAINST THE NATION, THE STATE AND THE PUBLIC PEACE > UNDERMINING PUBLIC TRUST > FORGERY ).

From l’article 441-1 du code pénal français:
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?idArticle=LEGIARTI000006418753&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070719&dateTexte=20110408&oldAction=rechCodeArticle.

In French law, there is a distinction between two types of forgeries: “le faux materiel” and “le faux intellectuel”.
“Le faux material” refers to drafting a fraudulent document (i.e., creating a forgery) , while “faux intellectual” refers to “falsifying”/altering an authentic document to make it say something that would assist in an act of fraud (falsifying a record).

So, I might go for Egyptian Law of Forgery / Forgery under Egyptian Law or a less elegant, but more conceptually literal translation, such as: The crime of falsifying records under Egyptian law.

Best,
Trinie

From: International Law Librarians List (Int-Law) [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilson, John [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 1:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Int-Law] translation of the title of a book , from French to English

Hello all,
I am trying to help one of the librarians from our Research Library. She is cataloging a book from 1940, with the title
Le faux intellectual en droit égyptien, and would like to translate the title into English.  After looking at some dictionaries , and talking to one of our students from France, I think this may translate as Fraud in Egyptian Law. If anyone has a suggestion about this, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
John