Hi Don,

I forwarded your post to Lucia Diamond (our Robbins Collection
Librarian) who is not a list member. This is her response (copied/pasted):
I don't know much post-medieval, but I think another approach might be
to consider the law of enclosure (inclosures). From the 15th century
through the nineteenth, the English landlords enclosed (fenced off) more
and more of their land (for reasons that differed through time and
place) ending rights in common (rights of others to use your land).
There was much resistance to this (which also differed in time and
place), but in general one might say that the landowners were able to
defy those who claimed rights in common. Fleming's second sentence
describes what happened with the loss of rights in common.

See, e.g.,
Gonner, E. C. K. (Edward Carter Kersey), Sir, 1862-1922
Common land and inclosure
London : Macmillan, 1912
and
Scrutton, Thomas Edward, Sir, 1856-1934
Commons and common fields; or, The history and policy of the laws
             relating to commons and enclosures in England. Being the Yorke
             prize essay of the University of Cambridge for the year 1886
Cambridge, University Press, 1887

Best,
Lucia

Lucia Diamond