Thanks for this, Lyo--I love your guerilla-style research!

mary

-----Original Message-----
From: International Law Librarians List (Int-Law)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lyonette Louis-Jacques
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Int-Law] Update on the June 5, 2008 Turkish Constitutional Court
headscarf case

Guten Tag Int-Lawyers!

Several of us have been trying to find the full text or extended
summary including the Court's reasoning in Turkish, English, German,
or French of the June 5, 2008 decision of the Constitutional Court
of Turkey related to headscarves.

It has been fruitless so far.  But I think I found promising news.
I have no Turkish, but I checked the Court's website and couldn't
find anything new:

http://www.anayasa.gov.tr/general/

Then I did a variety of searches involving the date in English and
in Turkish (5 Haz 2008, 5 Haziran 2008), the relevant constitutional
articles (Madde 2, 4, 148), the rapporteur, Osman Can, etc. and
found this info (don't know anything about the reliability of the
resource):

It looks like the Court is finally going  to release the full
decision this October!:

http://www.dunyagazetesi.com.tr/haber.asp?id=21188&cDate=

Constitutional court to release full decisions on two landmark
rulings next month

09.09.2008 - 11:27

Full decisions on two recent landmark Constitutional Court rulings
will be released early next month, said Constitutional Court Chief
Justice Hasim Kilic yesterday. Speaking to a ceremony at Parliament
marking the beginning of the judicial year, Kilic told reporters that
in October they will release full decisions, including the court's
legal reasoning, on a case upholding the Constitution's headscarf ban
at universities, and its decision not to close down the ruling
Justice and Development Party (AKP).

This same source had said the Court would release a "well-reasoned
statement" soon back in June, but it seems that didn't happen?:
http://www.dunyagazetesi.com.tr/haber.asp?id=11429

Top court annuls constitutional change allowing headscarf

06.06.2008 - 11:23

Turkey's top court yesterday declared s,e law to allow wearing
Islamic headscarf at universities invalid. Members of s,e
Constitutional Court, chaired by Hasim Kilic rejected s,e
constitutional changes 9-2. s,e court reportedly based its ruling on
Article 4 of s,e Constitution, which stipulates s,at Republic's core
values, including secularism, cannot be altered. Ruling Justice and
Development Party (AKP), s,e Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) and s,e
Democratic Society Party (DTP) had backed s,e changes. Opposition
Republican People's Party (CHP) and Democratic Left Part (DSP) s,en
applied to s,e top court asking annulment of s,e law. Speaking to
reporters, Kilic called on all people to respect s,e ruling of s,e
top court and said s,at s,ey would release a well-reasoned statement
soon.

And back in June, some of the more meaty articles included:

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=142265

Legal experts back rapporteurs stance
Law professors and some politicians have expressed support for a
report by a Constitutional Court rapporteur, submitted to the top
court on Friday, recommending the rejection of an appeal to annul a
constitutional amendment securing headscarf-wearing women the right
to education on campus at Turkish universities.

Constitutional Court rapporteur Osman Can submitted to the court's
judges his report on a filing by opposition parties the Republican
People's Party (CHP) and Democratic Left Party (DSP) appealing a
package amending two constitutional articles that was adopted by the
vote of 411 deputies in February. The petitioners claimed the change
ran against the principle of secularism.....

---

If anyone has additional useful information (such as other sources of
extended summaries or commentary re the case in any language),
please let us know.

Vielen Dank!
Lyo.

Lyonette Louis-Jacques
Foreign and International Law
Librarian and Lecturer in Law
D'Angelo Law Library
University of Chicago Law School
1121 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL  60637 U.S.A.
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Phone:   1-773-702-9612
Fax:     1-773-702-2889
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/law/
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/faculty/louis-jacques
http://lawlibraries.ning.com/profile/LyonetteLouisJacques

[log in to unmask]: Use this address for postings and replies -
Email text body 'SIGNOFF int-law' to:
**DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this list are those of the authors
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of CIESIN, its staff, or
CIESIN's sponsors.