Japan (for sure), Canada (I believe), and the US are members of the multilateral Hague Discovery Convention at 8 ILM 37 (1969). Good Q so as not to fun afoul of foreign sovereignty concerns (with both Hague Service and Evidence Conventions). The leading treatise (6-volumes, looseleaf, at last glance) is by Ristau, International Judicial Assistance (Civl and Criminal), published by the International Law Institute (Wash, DC, so they say, tho I believe its HQ is still in Philadelphia). BTW, US SCt caselaw says such treaties provide a way to get what you want, but not necessarily the only way (sound familiar?).

Hope this helps,
Bill

________________________________

From: International Law Librarians List (Int-Law) on behalf of Lori A. Strickler
Sent: Tue 4/29/2008 1:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Int-Law] Letters Rogatory? How to subpoena docs from foreign corporations...

Hello,
Our firm does very little international work so I'm hoping someone on the list can help me out with this request. An attorney in our Phoenix office wants to subpoena documents from corporations located in Canada and Japan for a case filed in Arizona state court. Does anyone know the procedure for doing so? Is it done through letters rogatory? Are there any standard forms/templates to use for creating such a request? I've gone through a number of Arizona forms as well as the AZ Rules of Civil Procedure but have only found references to the procedure for conducting depositions in foreign countries.

Any advice you can give is much appreciated!
Thanks,

Lori Strickler
Librarian
Wood Smith Henning & Berman LLP

[log in to unmask]: Use this address for postings and replies - Email text body 'SIGNOFF int-law' to: [log in to unmask] **DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this list are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of CIESIN, its staff, or CIESIN's sponsors.