Thanks for the input.  I saw an article in the Spring 03 Asian-Pacific Law and Policy Journal which stated that "The Vietnam Lawyer’s Association is a socio-political groupdistinct from the Vietnam Bar Association which plays a familiar professional licensing function for lawyers.

Maybe Vietnam Bar Assn was referring to the provincial/city associations rather than a national bar.

Andrea

From: International Law Librarians List (Int-Law) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gaylord, Tom
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Int-Law] Vietnam Bar Association

Hi, Andrea,

I checked the Encyclopedia of Associations: International Organizations and there was no listing.

I also checked the 2006 ed. of Martindale-Hubble’s International Law Digest and under VietnamàLegal ProfessionàBar Associations, it indicated that bar ass’ns were allowed at the provincial and centrally-governed city levels (and that all 61 provinces/cities had a bar ass’n) but made no mention of a national bar ass’n.

Tom