fyi.

Sydney Morning Herald 5 March 2007

David Hicks's US military lawyer, Major Michael Mori, is the South Sydney Rabbitohs' latest high-profile recruit. He was in the club box at Saturday night's Charity Shield rugby league match, trading his khakis for a green and red Souths cap.

He was a guest of the Rabbitohs' owners, Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court, and later met the players in the dressing room before walking out onto the middle of Telstra Stadium to inspect the playing surface.
Holmes a Court told us he met Major Mori during their US university days, when the soldier was his "nemesis" on the rugby field. "He played flanker for Norwich and I was five-eighth for Middlebury. We played them twice a year and he used to cut me down as frequently as he could.

"Dante" was his nickname. I don't know why but I thought he'd be a very interesting guy for the players to meet."

Holmes a Court said he was now seeking to "assist in the negotiations to see David brought home" but wouldn't elaborate.

The Souths CEO, Shane Richardson, was singing from the same song sheet after meeting Major Mori. "He's a huge New England Patriots fan and a huge American football fan, but he was saying: 'How tough are these guys?"' Richardson said after the game. "I told him he will make himself a hero if he can bring David Hicks home."

Please excuse cross-posting.
As if the shocking and disgraceful circus that currently constitutes the pending "trial" of Guantanamo detainee David Hicks by a kangaroo court disguised as a Military Commission is not disgusting enough already, we now learn in our Australian newspapers today that the USA "prosecutors" are proposing to bring some absurd charges against Major Michael Mori for some alleged breach of some Military Code in his vigorous defence of David Hicks to date. Could some informed Law-Libber please refer me to the actual text of the relevant provision that Major Mori is supposed to have breached ?  I went to hear Major Mori speak on the David Hicks case in Melbourne last Thursday night, and must say that, if his moderate and convincing "speaking out" on the injustices in this case does, indeed, constitute an offence under current USA law, then there is something HORRIBLY wrong with the rule of law in the USA these days. But I guess we knew that already.
P.S. I f you feel minded to "flame" me for this posting, save your electrons and don't bother. All flames will be trashed.

Ron Huttner LL.B (Hons)
(Retired) Barrister, Solicitor, Law Lecturer and Legal Researcher
Melbourne
Victoria
Australia
[log in to unmask]: Use this address for postings and replies - Email text body 'SIGNOFF int-law' to: [log in to unmask] **DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this list are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of CIESIN, its staff, or CIESIN's sponsors.

--
Direct tel.:   +61 2 9385 2346
Office tel.:   +61 2 9385 2381