]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

INT-LAW Home

INT-LAW  September 2010, Week 5

INT-LAW September 2010, Week 5

Re: This List's Problems with multiple Copies and delayed Messages

Bob Chen <[log in to unmask]>

International Law Librarians List (Int-Law)

Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:46:48 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear List members:

Thanks for pointing out that there may be an issue with delayed or
bounced messages. We have looked into whether there was a particular
issue yesterday that might have caused an unusual delay, but it
appears that everything was working normally. However, please note
that there are nearly 800 subscribers to Int-Law, and more than 1700
subscribers to other lists supported by our list server. Therefore, it
can take a bit of time for messages to be sent out, and it may
certainly happen that some people will reply before everyone on the
list actually receives the original (sometimes because of mail
delivery delays on the receiver's end, which are beyond our control).
Some subscribers may also be using the digest feature, which of course
builds in a delay in the receipt of messages.

We are certainly happy that the Int-law community is so responsive to
requests and that many people seem to vie for the opportunity to be
first to answer! However, I would not recommend that people make it a
practice to notify the list when they answer a request, as this might
well cause even more list delays and would add more list messages to
everyone's inbox.

I hope that requesters will understand that getting multiple responses
is alot better than none, and will, as Ellen tried to do, post a note
in a timely manner after their request has been fulfilled.

Cheers, Bob

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
Secretary General, CODATA, Committee on Data for Science and Technology,
  International Council for Science (ICSU)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
CIESIN web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu
CODATA web site: http://www.codata.org