Re: A Friday Funny From Down Under

"Dunlap, William Prof." <[log in to unmask]>

International Law Librarians List (Int-Law)

Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:50:19 -0400

text/plain

Speaking of picking and choosing one's moral rules.

-----Original Message-----
From: International Law Librarians List (Int-Law) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Helen Pringle
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 7:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Int-Law] A Friday Funny From Down Under

I have unsuccessfully tried to restrain myself from adding to this thread; in
response to a change in the Catechism, the Observer came up with this headline:

Pope says self-abuse is all right but you must keep it in hand.
By JOHN HOOPER IN ROME.
The Observer

A BRIEF phrase in a dead language has been interpreted as lifting one of the
most controversial and often derided taboos of the Roman Catholic Church - its
condemnation of that which may be done by many but which is acknowledged by few,
and which not even the Vatican now contends will make you go blind.

The phrase is tucked away in the latest version of the Church's Universal
Catechism, which defines what Roman Catholics believe - or should believe.

The previous edition of the catechism acknowledged that certain factors should
be taken into account when judging people who masturbate. 'Affective immaturity,
force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety and other psychological or social
factors', it said, could 'lessen or even attenuate moral culpability'.

But the new version says these factors can attenuate 'if not indeed reduce to
the minimum' the guilt and blame attaching to auto-eroticism.

Latin remains the official language of Roman Catholicism and all future editions
of the catechism in modern languages will have to be adjusted to reflect the
version published last week.

An Italian Roman Catholic sexologist, Romano Forleo, says: 'The text is taking
account of the fact that these days sexual maturity comes earlier, at a time
when full moral responsibility is difficult.' For some experienced
Vatican-watchers, it was nothing short of a papal dispensation. The Milan
newspaper Corriere della Sera said masturbation had been 'almost absolved' and
the Turin daily La Stampa reckoned it meant the catechism had 'pardoned
masturbation'.

But a British Roman Catholic expert in moral theology stressed that the text
still described the practice as an 'intrinsically and gravely disordered action'.

Father George Woodall, formerly professor at the Beda College in Rome, accepted
there was a 'slight strengthening of the recognition of factors which can - and
not "do" - reduce culpability'. But he added that the Church 'does not accept
the view that it is so common that everyone does it, so it is perfectly normal
and there is nothing wrong'.

Fr Woodall said the Church took the issue of masturbation 'very seriously'.
However, he added: 'It is not something that the Church goes on and on about.
You don't hear people preaching about it. It's not a hang-up of the Church.'

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/nsw/NSWCCA/2007/273.html*<http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/nsw/NSWCCA/2007/273.html>)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/a-judge-is-essential-preferably-conscious/2007/09/13/1189276898102.html