From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 1:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: IAI Listserv: Other inst. announces (NCAR)
Interdisciplinary Social Scientist
Job Category: Scientific
[Job #6177, at Foothills Lab]
This is a full time new position. Initial consideration will be given to
applications received prior to November 20, 2006; applications received
later will be reviewed on an as needed basis.
Applicants should include a cover letter, current curriculum vita and the
names of three professional references whom we may contact.
It is intended that the successful candidate will be appointed as a
Scientist II or Scientist III, depending upon qualifications.
Appointments to Scientist are not automatic, and are made in accordance with
the NCAR scientific appointments policy.
NCAR - Institute for the Study of Society and Environment (ISSE)
Basic Job Function:
Conducts research on the science-society interface related to weather and
climate. Collaborates closely with other ISSE, SERE, and NCAR staff and
university colleagues on interdisciplinary research pertinent to ISSE's
goals and mission.
Social Scientist: This is a full time mid-career position involving social
science/interdisciplinary research (e.g., sociology, human geography,
economics, political science, policy analysis, demography,
anthropology) designed to help move ISSE into a position of national and
international recognition and leadership in research integrating
human-environment interactions with atmospheric and Earth system dynamics.
Background Information: ISSE is an interdisciplinary research institute
within the Societal-Environmental Research and Education (SERE) Laboratory.
ISSE's mission is to improve the base of knowledge about societal
implications of atmospheric and related environmental processes so that
decision-makers might better understand, anticipate, and respond to
atmospheric science-related issues, such as climatic change or weather
ISSE goals are to:
(1) Conduct research that integrates human-environment interactions with
atmospheric and Earth system dynamics;
(2) Define and implement science projects and knowledge products for use in
decision-making, outreach, and education;
(3) Conduct participatory research on science-society interactions to
develop conceptual frameworks for improved interactions between science and
society, and to inform geophysical research at NCAR/UCAR of societal
(4) Act as integrative force across NCAR and within the University
community, and inform researchers in earth-sun system dynamics of societal
needs to maximize the societal benefit of their research.
These goals are implemented within the context of five broad research
* assessment methods and tools;
* climate-ecosystem-human interactions;
* use of scientific information in decision processes;
* vulnerability, resilience, and adaptation;
* integrated science and regional applications.
A comprehensive overview of the current ISSE vision and program activities
can be viewed at: http://www.isse.ucar.edu.
* Conducts innovative social science research contributing to a
collaborative program focused on integrating social, biological and physical
* Publishes results of research, and communicates research findings to
diverse, as well as peer-reviewed audiences.
* Actively seeks extra-mural funding to aid in supporting and further
developing the ISSE program.
* Assists in developing interactions and collaborations with other
NCAR and UCAR Office of Programs divisions and programs and beyond with the
wider university community.
* Contributes to ISSE, SERE and NCAR scientific outreach and community
Education and Experience:
* Ph.D. in a social science discipline, or equivalent experience.
* At least 5 years research experience in an interdisciplinary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* National recognition as a scholar and leader in the investigation of
the science-society interface related to atmospheric, environmental and/or
Earth system science;
* Demonstrated excellence and productivity in scientific research as
evidenced in refereed scientific journals and other media;
* Ability to contribute to establishing and maintaining effective
multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary research programs involving both
in-house and multi-institutional collaborative teams;
* Ability to prepare proposals for research and outreach opportunities
and to manage awarded projects;
* Demonstrated skill in the written and oral communication of academic
programs to diverse groups, including fellow researchers, policy makers and
* Ability to communicate effectively with scientific, technical and
administrative staff as well as with peers in the social sciences and other
Options for applying for this position:
Online: Apply through WebHire
Send your paper resume to:
UCAR Human Resources
3065 Center Green Drive
Boulder, Colorado 80301
Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research - IAI
Should you want to cancel your subscription to the IAI listserv, please
follow the procedures below to proceed with the cancellation:
1) Go to http://www.iai.int and access "IAI Communications". Then select
"Subscriptions Services" and "Unsubscribe the above itens";
2) Insert the required fields and select one of the next three options.
If you dont know the number of your record at IAI Database, please send an
e-mail to "[log in to unmask]".
Thanks for your cooperation
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
HDGEC - Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change List: Post messages to [log in to unmask] This list is co-sponsored by CIESIN, Columbia University, and IHDP. The opinions expressed on this list are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of CIESIN, IHDP, their staff or sponsors.